This error usually indicates that somehow the network adapter (TAP) that is required by the OpenVPN application has been disabled on the system.
To resolve this issue, please follow the steps below:
Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center.
Click on 'Change Adapter Settings' and you will see a list of all your configured network adapters.
Find the one that is called 'Local Area Connection XX or Ethernet XX (XX denoting a number) and that has a description of 'TAP-Win32 Adapter V9'.
If it's disabled, right click on it and choose Enable.
If you can't see a network adapter matching that description then it could have been deleted and so you will need to add it back again.
To do so, please follow through the steps below:
1) Go to Start - All Programs - Tap-Windows (Windows XP, Vista & 7) or press Windows + Q, and look for Add a New Tap (Windows 8, 8.1, & 10)
2) Right click on Add a New Tap Virtual Ethernet Adapter and select Run as Administrator. If you do not have the Run as Administrator option (Windows 8, 8.1 & 10), select Open File Location, right click on Add a New Tap Virtual Ethernet Adapter and select Run as Administrator.
3) Follow through the instructions and you'll end up with the following screen:
4) Once you're greeted with the screen above, press any key on your keyboard to continue and give the VPN another try.
Note: If you are still on an older version of our OpenVPN application, you can find the tool in the location below:
Start - All Programs - OpenVPN - Utilities
We have seen some cases where despite the TAP adapter not being available on the network settings, our customers still fail to install the TAP adapter and end up with a screen similar to the one below:
If you receive the screen above or any other screen similar to the one above stating that the installation of the TAP adapter was unsuccessful, please try the following suggestions:
1) Delete any existing TAP adapter from the system:
2) Re-install the OpenVPN application by following the instructions in the link below:
3) If re-installing the OpenVPN application still does not resolve the issue you're experiencing, please give our L2TP VPN a try by following the instructions in the link below:
If you have any further problems or need further assistance, please email us at email@example.com. We'll get back to you as soon as possible and try to help.